top of page
CT’s Justice of the Peace & Notary Public, Sonia I. Lofton

CT’s Justice of the Peace & Notary Public,

Sonia I Lofton

Call/Text: (203) 650-6107


Hablo Español

For Your Guidance and Information

Here’s everything you need to know, such as wedding requirements, ceremony scheduling, and more.

Marriage Licenses

No appointment is typically necessary to apply for a marriage license at the town/city clerk’s office. You may obtain a marriage license in the town in which you are getting married in Connecticut. Some Town Halls/City Clerk's office have a one-two day waiting period, please be sure to check with the town where you are getting married.

Pre-marital blood testing or witnesses are no longer required. The Fee for a license can vary from town to town but the charge is approximately $50 and a copy is $20.00.

Premarital Requirements in Connecticut

A marriage license is required by the Marriage License Laws of Connecticut. The procedure for obtaining the marriage license and other related information is stated below.

  • Both parties must appear in person to apply for marriage license.
  • Present a valid driver's license, state issued ID, passport, or military identification.
  • You will need to apply for a marriage license in the city/town where the ceremony will be held.
  • Non-residents marrying in Connecticut must apply in the town where the ceremony will be held.
  • License is valid for 65 days from date of application.

Age Requirements

Applicants (18) years of age or over do not require parental consent to marry in Connecticut.

Under 18 Years of Age - Written consent of the parent or guardian is required.

Under 16 Years of Age - A Probate Court Judge must endorse the license in writing.

Exact Name

Full legal name is required. No abbreviations, nicknames or initials. The information for the marriage license should appear as it does on your birth certificate, unless your name has been legally changed (i.e. previous marriage, court order name change).

Wedding Ceremony

You should schedule your wedding date with me as soon as possible to ensure your date is available and reserved. Once you are married, I will submit the marriage license for you, in a day or two. If you need it turned in the same day, please let me know and I will be happy to work with you.

Name Changes

If you plan to use your married name at work, be sure to have your name changed with the Department Motor Vehicle and Social Security Administration. It's easy and it's absolutely free. Contact Social Security Online to locate your local office. You will need documentary evidence showing both your old name and your new name so make sure to bring a copy of the marriage license with you.

bottom of page